Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 19

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 19
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:36:02 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Incidentally, how do you align a panorama where the images are taken at
> different points parallel to the subject.

Very carefully.  :-D   Ha, ha, ha.

> I tried that once long ago (probably using PTGui) and made an absolute
> mess... no doubt because of an assumed common vantage point.

I think you are right that the usual panorama stitchers make an
assumption about point of view that wouldn't work with the moving
parallel approach.

If you look at the image, you will see two big, U-shaped brackets
sticking out to the side between the 3rd and 4th. axle of each set of
drive wheels. Both appear relatively end on in the finished composite.
In the right image the front one is seen very much from the side,
creating a confusing point of view if I used it in the composite. So
there are some real problems an automated stitcher would have.

On the other hand, a regular panorama shot from so close would also have
point of view issues, with the center sen from straight ahead and the
ends from a sharp angle. I suspect the only way to get a really good
image from a geometrical/point of view standpoint would be from some
distance with a modest telephoto.

In this case, I had only two images to merge, so the problem was
relatively manageable.

- I first applied PTLens to each, to get them linear.

- My hand held level wasn't perfect, so I leveled them up with each other.

- Since they were from different points, there were different
perspective effects, so the overlap wasn't quite right. I used the
Rotate, Distort and Move subcommands of Edit=>Transform to match them up
at the seam area.

- Back at 100% for the top layer, I applied a mask and painted it to
merge the overlap.

- Because of the wildly different lighting, I did a Color=>Match to help
blend the color balance.

Moose