[OM] Flash meters: was: Sleep to Shot timing (was "Olympus E-P1 review o

Subject: [OM] Flash meters: was: Sleep to Shot timing (was "Olympus E-P1 review on DPR")
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:21:51 -0400
I believe the L-328 had been discontinued.  I don't know its specs but,
of current models, I would recommend the L-358 (which may be the L-328's
replacement).  The reason to be quite specific is that the L-358
measures both flash and ambient simultaneously and reports the
percentage of flash to total in 10% increments.  When you have 20-30%
flash you have a good fill flash ratio.  Since I don't use my studio
lights much anymore about 90% of my meter's usage is fill flash.  From
memory, I believe the L-358 to be the lowest cost Sekonic meter with
this feature.  It also has provision for an optional, internal
PocketWizard transmitter module.  I have the transmitter module since it
was included free at the time I bought my L-358 but I don't use
PocketWizards (too expensive).
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=sekonic+L-358&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fproductlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=20&Go.y=15&Go=submit>

With a histogram I can do without an incident meter for ambient light
but I can't do without a flash meter and I consider the flash/ambient
ratio reporting to be a required feature.

Chuck Norcutt