Re: [OM] In Memory ...

Subject: Re: [OM] In Memory ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:49:19 -0700
Daniel Sepke wrote:
> Or you could buy into the Arca Swiss world. Gain multi manufacturer support,
> many accessory devices and superb craftsmanship from at least two major and
> several minor makers. Yes the buy in is higher but I have never regretted
> the choice myself. I made the call to buy in right at the beginning of my
> major kit building so avoided the round of upgrades that seems to plague the
> tripod/head business. Of course as ever YMMV :)  .

Yes, MMDV. One tightrope I walk in choosing equipment is between
functionality and size/weight. Cost is often as issue, as well, but of a
different nature.

The old saw is still true, the camera, lens, tripod, head, and so on,
that doesn't get to the site of the shot is of no value, no matter how
wonderful it is. I have several pieces of photographic equipment that
fit all too often into this category.

If I were a pro, things would be different. Shooting this locomotive,
I'd have hauled in the 16# Manfrotto tripod, a 20+MP camera and the
Zuiko 18/3.5 for a true panorama shot. I would have at least considered
using a ladder to peek over the adjacent locomotive and try a shot from
maybe twice as far away and a bit above. Might be striking.

I'd also pick a different time of day or year for the light from the big
window or hang a huge diffuser and probably have to use additional
lights. And I'd have to hire a child to stand around looking cute. :-)

But I do this for fun. To the extent that others enjoy any of my images,
I'm pleased, but my primary motivation is to please myself. So the
equipment has to fit into the "Moose will actually carry it with him
more than once" criterion. Big tripods, heads and QR mechanisms are
non-starters there.

In this case, the gear I hauled around hanging from my body on a warm
day in Old Sacramento, 5D, 28-300, 17-35 and 90 macro Tamrons and 50/1.8
Canon was just at my limit. That combination of lenses is also a work of
compromise between size, weight and function. If I had the Canon L
equivalent lenses, they couldn't all go with me most of the time.

Every once in a while, I go through a period of serious desire for the
Canon 100-400L lens. So far, these periods have ended with the
realization that it would be forever the piece of gear left home or in
the car, but "I'll use it next time." My resistance is helped by the
similar fate of the similar size/weight Tamron 80-200/2.8. Wonderful
lens, but I've taken very few images with it over the years for the
simple reason that it's not been there when the shot is to be taken.

Soooo, My affection for the light, handy QR products is purely
practical. They do a better job in the field with me than would much
sturdier and "better" versions that wouldn't be there.  Also, as the
equipment that they may be called on to support is subject to the same
selection rules, not as much strength is required of my tripod/head/QR
gear.

The Velbon Heads and QR plates I like are quite sufficient for 5D and
28-300 Tamron, which is the biggest, heaviest combo they are likely to
have to support. On those very rare occasions where I haul heavier gear,
or want more precision, the Manfrotto geared head and Hakuba CF tripod
are great. If things get really serious, the massive Manfrotto hexagonal
plates, massive three way head and massive tripod are quite sufficient
for even the 150-500/5.6 or 1000/11 and any cameras that may happen to
be hanging off them.

Moose