Re: [OM] sunset this evening

Subject: Re: [OM] sunset this evening
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 22:26:30 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:
> Now that I have a few gigabytes free on my HDD, I have started experimenting
> with ORF / RAW files, hoping to rescue images with blown-out highlights (
> autumn leaves in the sun, in forest shots, for example ).

Hurray! Be advised, though, that the E-3 is reported to have less
recoverable highlights than some other DSLRs. Shooting to the right, by
using negative EV compensation in many cases, will still be needed in
many cases.

> I saved V 2.3 of Raw Therapee many months ago, and installed it a couple of
> days ago. So far it has me confused as it doesn't seem to give progress
> images as various changes are keyed in.  But it is very early days yet.

If you are going to try out RawTherapee, you might as well download
V2.4, as it has some improvements. RT is in many ways quite capable.
However, as you have found, it is slow to complete processing and
display changes, so it can be quite frustrating to use. Without a fast,
processor and lots of memory, it is probably stone slow. Adobe ACR, as
in PS, Lightroom and, I believe, recent versions of Photoshop Elements,
is much faster to use.

I've not carefully followed the threads, but recall that some E-thingie
users have issues with ACR color rendering. Have you tried the software
that came with the camera?

Moose