[OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 21:47:53 +1200
Hi all,

Sorry this is so late ...

Here's an example of why I think digital doesn't cut the mustard for
landscapes. The top two links at
http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/index.htm

The top link is a resizing of a 3648 x 2736 5.64 MB E-3 image that has been
mildly sharpened (3) in fast stone. Camera tripod mounted, lens Oly DZ 14 ~
54mm lens @20mm. Don't remember if I used time delay; might have.

Link second from top is what I got by clicking on the above image in Fast--
Stone to yield a full-size image, and pressing the <Print Screen) keyboard
button, then opening Irfanview, and clicking on <Edit> <Paste> then saving
as the name I had previously stored in virtual memory.

In my opinion, the resolution of the full-size version leaves a lot to be
desired. It is plain fuzzy.

What do you think?

Incidentally, following up on what Moose wrote about some of my other
images of which he discovered (don't know how) that I had been using a
Custom WB setting. Not quite so, it was a pre-set setting, but not a good
one. I think I had made my best guess for a reason that escapes my
memory now as I don't know why I altered it in the first place. Didn't have the
manual with me, did I?

Anyway, several potential good images were rendered useless as a result of
that unfortunate oversight. Some colours are just SO wrong, and there's no
fixing them.

Cheers

Brian Swale.