Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:42:43 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Swale"

> In my opinion, the resolution of the full-size version leaves a lot to be
> desired. It is plain fuzzy.
>
> What do you think?

You need a scanned image of similar size to compare, I'm not sure if this is
really bad at original pixel size. On the other hand the AA filter on
Olympus digital is stronger than the others. I don't have landscape but here
is a cityscape at 10MP with 40D, I don't think it is easy to get the same
details with film:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_0955.JPG

No sharpen applied.

> Incidentally, following up on what Moose wrote about some of my other
> images of which he discovered (don't know how) that I had been using a
> Custom WB setting. Not quite so, it was a pre-set setting, but not a good
> one. I think I had made my best guess for a reason that escapes my
> memory now as I don't know why I altered it in the first place. Didn't
> have the
> manual with me, did I?
>
> Anyway, several potential good images were rendered useless as a result of
> that unfortunate oversight. Some colours are just SO wrong, and there's no
> fixing them.

That's why I only shot RAW, correct color by adjusting the color temp. is
much easier than RGB curves.

C.H.Ling