Re: [OM] Question OM1 remote release

Subject: Re: [OM] Question OM1 remote release
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:16:13 +0100
Actually no OM has an electric shutter release...

Release of the first curtain is always triggered mechanically by the
completion of the mirror raising action (which is itself always mechanically
triggered from the shutter release button). On the fully electronic cameras,
there is an electric interrupter between these two actions which provides
the self timer function (which is why they "pre-fire" the mirror). The
cameras with "electronic" shutters have electronic control only of the
second curtain release, not the first curtain.

The problem with using the bottom release bar to fire will be that there is
no guarantee that two winders or motor drives will have the same delay
between the shorting of their release buttons and the moving of the release
pin, and there is also no guarantee that the release point of bottom release
bar will be the same for any two cameras. Therefore although it is a
perfectly good way of roughly synchronising two cameras, it will not be
necessarily any more accurate than a DCR, and of course cannot be adjusted
like a DCR can.

Regards,

Julian