[OM] Weird, funky bokeh

Subject: [OM] Weird, funky bokeh
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:14:43 -0400
I bet you are correct about the spherical aberration, Dawid.  I find
your example more pleasant and a nice shot BTW.  In lenses with very
highly corrected spherical aberration/flat field  like the Z. 50/3.5
the bokeh can get  funky too. Complex recent vintage zooms seem to
suffer the same fate as explained  by AG  (AKA Dr. Bokeh?)
I am glad Chuck questioned the species of flower--I'll keep an eye out
for Spider Lilies--quite attractive.

I have seen Moose quite closely duplicate (perhaps perfectly)  nice
smooth bokeh in a "pick a blur" post, but it is difficult to duplicate.
I have seen some PS instructions applying a gradient to "lens blur" or
Gaussian blur to closely simulate a lens with nice bokeh.
For now, given skill, time contraints,  I'd rather have the lens  do it
if possible.
Mike

Same Here, that is a bit rough. Isn't this sort of thing caused by
extreme
spherical abberation in the out-of-focus areas?

A Yashica TLR I used to use had this, but just enough to be pleasant
(see, for example,
this photo: (80mm, f/3.5 wide open)

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs47/f/2009/194/d/b/Graswiel_by_philosomatographer.jpg

But in the extreme measures exhibited by the link provided, yes -
"yikes", that's
really distracting.