Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 01:03:29 +1200
Thanks everybody for your input.

I will save it all for study.

The shot was taken with the camera on a heavy tripod, and a hand was on it
to hold it firmly down. I see it was shot at f/5 - the rest were shot at f/8
and I
don't remember changing the f.stop.

I deliberately excluded most sky from the shot as in my opinion it added
nothing to the composition I wanted to achieve.

I managed to see about 80% of CH Ling's 10MP cityscape before my
modem disconnected me and it was lost; I agree that that shot had over
much of it, better detail than mine has.

Several of you commented on technical detail (such as distance of focus),
which none of my software reports to me.. Please advise what software
does this.

Bob Whitmire drew my attention to JP Caponigro's site (
http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/index.php  ) and his Antarctic photos
which are all digital. On his site he says he uses Canon 5Ds Mark II,
Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon 1Ds, Canon 28-135 IS lens, Canon 100-400 IS
lens, and Canon 2X extender.

I found very few of his Antarctic shots, but I noticed that many of the shots
he exhibits on his site are greatly modified using Photoshop, and he
employs staff to do this. Much of his work in my opinion would best be
described as photo art ( of very talented quality, I hasten to add).

MY local hero ( Andris Apse - http://www.andrisapse.com/  also recently
spent a month in Antarctica, and I just discovered he had a 2-month-long
exhibition in the Otago Museum in Dunedin. I missed it. He uses mostly (but
not only) Linhof Technorama cameras. I don't know that he uses digital at all
but I might ask him.

I've started shooting 120 film and that is to continue. Scanning and
associated storage problems worse than what I am coping with now are in
the not-too-distant future.   I have a book project firmly in my sights and I
think (having bought copies of most of Andris Apse's many excellent books
(as well as those of other photographers) and tried to learn from them and
adapt the best for myself),  that 120 film is essential for the best shots I am
likely to take.

Meantime I had better go on trying to take better photos.

Brian Swale.