Re: [OM] 60mm f1.5 aperture fixed!

Subject: Re: [OM] 60mm f1.5 aperture fixed!
From: iwert bernakiewicz <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:37:34 +0200
Well, I opened the lens,

To get to the mechanism a total dismantling was needed, luckily the
pen F lenses are
made in good fashion. I cleaned the mechanism but the brass ring
inside the alumiunum
housing was still stiff when closing the aperture from about f4-f16.
I looked at the mechanism and could not discover anything strange. The fitting
of the brass and aluminum should not be greased I think, since there
is a huge contact
surface (it is a very thick, about 1,5cm) ring and the grease would be more
like glue :).

So after looking cerafully from all sides what could be the problem
the only cause
could be something with the opening in the aluminum to get the
aperture linking lever
to the aperture ring where the brass ring always had resistance. First
I thought some parts might
be out of round causing the resistance. But looking with a looking
glass I discovered
a very, very small metal burr at one edge of the opening in the aluminum.
I removed this carefully and softened the edge a bit, et voila, problem solved.

In a way I'm happy I opened up the lens, since it was apparently servised before
and rather greasy inside, and the last "repairman" left blobs of black paint
on almost every screw which was now coming off and starting to find
its way inside the lens.

Also when dismantling the lens the front element assembly was very
loose in it's fitting
and now sits snug and tight again.

So this beauty is ready for use again :) no images of the repair
process, but just for beauty and in honor
of Maitani-San:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/zuikooh/PenFV?authkey=Gv1sRgCIrtu_CbwNqqCQ&feat=directlink>

Iwert