Re: [OM] What worked, what didn't

Subject: Re: [OM] What worked, what didn't
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:52:59 -0500

> wow Ken, you really load up.

Did I really?  I listed all the doo-dads in there too.  If you look at just
the primary equipment, I think that it was actually pretty minimal
considering that I was shooting dual (actually triple with the E-1) film
types.  Except for the E-1 and the tripods, it all fit in a single SlingShot
300 AW.

I was really wanting to leave all digital behind and in retrospect, I could
have. But I brought it along for good reason--for that one type of shooting
opportunity that digital is best at, but it never materialized THIS time,
but it has in the past.

As to the three OM bodies, that was a decent decision.  The OM-4T had the
winder slipping (I left all motordrives at home) and the OM-2S was doing
color print film duty of specialty shots (time sequence of a storm cloud
over a mountain) prior to being dragged into Provia/Velvia duty.  The third
body (whichever one not being actively used at the time) was stored with a
body cap into a narrow slot in the bag.  OM bodies take up very little space
when they don't have motordrives and lenses attached.

A person could travel much lighter if he settled on two zoom lenses and two
bodies.  A person could travel even lighter yet if they just stuck with
digital and used one camera.

When on a trip like this (especially when you have a "four-wheeled
camera-bag" at your disposal, I'll tend to make sure that everything is
covered "just in case". But when substantial foot-travel is involved, the
kit gets small in a hurry. The easiest way to squish the kit is to forgo
anything in the 300mm arena. 300mm lenses are big and heavy and take up as
much space as two cameras with wide-angle lenses.  I could have, and have,
survived satisfactorily with just the 200/4 on the long end.

In fact, just thinking this through a bit, except for the filter situation,
I could live with two bodies, the 24/2.8, 35-80/2.8 and 200/4 in a
minimalist kit.  Considering the filter situation, it would be the 24/2.8,
35/2.8, 50/3.5, 100/2.8 and 200/4--give or take the 35 and 50.  For several
years my kit ONLY contained the 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/3.5, 100/2.8 and 200/4.

The key advantage to having a lot of equipment is being able to select and
customize the kit for specific applications.  When event shooting, the kit
is extremely tight.  No lens changes unless I absolutely have to and flash
gear abounds.

AG