Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:35:41 -0400
> I just tested and don't see a difference in perspective with camera or
> lens shifted, so if you have a shift lens that method could be used as
> well?

Yes, you might be right.  The only experience with shifting lenses that I
have is with a Minolta macro lens in the Minolta bellows that have shift &
tilt control. I was able to take stereo pictures by shifting the lens (in
the bellows), instead of the entire camera.   I cannot recall now what are
the differences between the two methods, but either should work.

One limitation of the shift lens method is that the amount of shift is
limited.  How much will the Olympus shift lens shift?  Under 10mm I would
guess.  You mentioned close focusing at 30cm.  The rule of thumb gives
30cm/30 = 1 cm (10mm).

With a macro lens on a slide bar, the physical limit on the amount
of shift is the total shift range of the slide bar, which is around 80mm for
the Bogen slide bar I am using.

George