Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 17:47:13 +0200
Hi Ken,

I agree on all counts, Velvia 50 is sharper, but I use Provia more.
Still,
both Provia and Velvia have more (apparent, in anyway, based on my
scanning tests)
resolution and less grain the Ilford FP4, my ~ISO100 black and white
film of choice.

I do also find that scanned B&W have shockingly / disturbingly much
more grain than wet-printed
B&W, which is why I am taking to scanning my wet prints (where
available). This has its own problems,
but the grain is much less apparent.

In all of this, I prefer a 100% analog B&W workflow. Hybrid really
does not make sense, just get a good
DSLR which will have a bit less of the resolution, and 0% of the
grain, of film.

For colour, the only reason I use a hybrid workflow is because I have
no taken to wet-printing colour
(yet?), colour film (all of them) have a much wider gamut of colours
than any DSLR I've seen, and
medium format resolution is amazing.