[OM] R.I.P. - 200EG

Subject: [OM] R.I.P. - 200EG
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:53:49 -0500
Rest in Peace, buddy.  We've been through a lot together, you and me.  Even
if your name has always made my skin crawl, I've always respected you
ability to hold your own.  But, alas, the time comes when age and the miles
of life catch up to us and you've lost the ability to keep it together.

Last night, when I picked you up and the cameras tumbled forth, that was
it.  I knew your days were done. Fortunately, they fell only inches to the
floor of the Jeep and not from my shoulder to the concrete driveway.

Our journeys together are now done.  You will be fondly remembered, and
possibly replaced by a brand-new clone of yourself.

The one trip together I shall not forget is our week on Isle Royale.  Poor
thing, you were stuffed to the gills and even had to carry a bottle of water
too! But as humble as we were, we made great pictures together. While the
others were packing bags twice your size, we efficiently and easily hiked
past them.  The canoe incident proved that you were by no means waterproof,
but even that soaking you came through with your colors intact.

Your zipper has failed.  The one design weakness has caught up to you.  Had
it been designed even slightly differently, you may have worked for years to
come.  I knew there was some reason why I didn't take you to Colorado--that
Interloper, the SlingShot guy had taken your place, but he was never as
usable or comfortable to carry as you.

You were a bargain, an absolute steal in the world of photographic
equipment.  Others, like you cost much, much more and are substantially
heavier.  You did your part, you performed well.

Last night, I was saddened, but not angry.  I couldn't bear to place you in
the trash bin yet.  Maybe you can keep stuff on the shelf safe and work, I
don't know.  But you shall never be used again to carry equipment--that
zipper, just won't hold together.

Canon 200EG Camera Backpack - Rest in peace, buddy.  You really were the
best bag I've ever had.

AG Schnozz