Re: [OM] R.I.P. - 200EG

Subject: Re: [OM] R.I.P. - 200EG
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:45:45 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> Rest in Peace, buddy.

OMG, how sad.

> We've been through a lot together, you and me.  Even if your name has always
> made my skin crawl, I've always respected you ability to hold your own.  But,
> alas, the time comes when age and the miles of life catch up to us and you've
> lost the ability to keep it together.
>
> Last night, when I picked you up and the cameras tumbled forth, that was it.
> I knew your days were done. Fortunately, they fell only inches to the floor
> of the Jeep and not from my shoulder to the concrete driveway.

Did the zipper actually come apart? Mine, which has had much less wear
than yours, unceremoniously dumped 5D and lenses on a parking lot in
Monterrey when still relatively new. Nothing was damaged but my peace of
mind. Analysis and testing revealed that the zipper pulls should NEVER
be pulled evenly up to the top. The weight of the gear pulling at the
big flap will cause the zipper to simply unzip. One or the other siper
pull should be pulled up, over and at least half way down the other
side. No accidents since.

My usage has probably been different than yours. The 200EG has been the
bag that carries most gear on planes and in car trunks from place to
place. When actually shooting away from house/car/ etc., I carry active
gear in a smaller bag.

>  ... --that Interloper, the SlingShot guy had taken your place, but he was
> never as usable or comfortable to carry as you.

One of the consequences of digital for me has been bigger bags. I used
to be able to carry an OM body with lens attached and two other lenses
up to moderate tele in a LowePro PhotoRunner buckled around my waist.
The 300D pushed that to the limit and the 5D just didn't fit. For a
while, I carried lenses and accessories in the waist pack and the camera
around my neck.

I wanted the option of putting everything in the bag, so I moved up to a
LowePro Inverse 200AW. Once again, I could carry a light, but full field
kit on my waist, although it was heavier and more intrusive than the
PhotoRunner. Still, I occasionally wanted to be able to carry another
lens, usually the 50/1.8 for low light speed.

One day, I ran across a bunch of LowePro* Slingshot 200AW bags at Costco
for $15-20 less than I'd seen them for elsewhere. I tried one on my
body, played and tried to envision how actual use would go. I didn't buy
that day, but did look at bags when next at the local photo emporium.
They didn't have the SlingShot 200AW in stock, but lots of other bags.

I came to the conclusion that the ideal solution to my desires didn't
actually exist, perhaps wasn't even possible? Next time at Costco, there
were still bags left, (un?)fortunately. By then, I'd formulated a
strategy for using one, tried it out in the store and bought one.

The greater of the two weaknesses of the design is that the lens pockets
open horizontal to my body, which isn't really safe. The strap/clips
that keep the flap from opening too far keep lenses from falling out,
but one still has to release them to get at the things in the pockets.

What I've done is to put the two most used alternate lenses in the top
pockets. I access them by pulling loose the velcro that keeps the
pockets closed, rather than by opening the flap all the way down. That
way, nothing is put in danger when accessing and changing lenses.
Carrying three lenses in addition to the one on the camera leaves enough
room to keep the hoods on all of them, avoiding all that business of
getting them out and stowing them separately with each lens change.

The other weakness is the unbalanced shoulder load. So far, that hasn't
been too bad and the ability to access tha bag without taking it off has
been worth it. With a loaded 300AW, I imagine the load issue might be
greater. But then, you are a more substantial person than I.

Moose

* No, I don't have a "thing" for LowePro. I guess they must just make
bags that fit me and my needs, as all three have only been purchased
after trying several different options in stores, usually with the
actual equipment to be carried. they do seem to be very well made.