[OM] Speaking of vacations [was This looks like a deal ...}

Subject: [OM] Speaking of vacations [was This looks like a deal ...}
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:15:23 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> In looking back at our spending on the trip, we blew the budget by about
> $500, but still spent a fraction of what most families of four spend visiting
> Orlando.

I'm getting excited now. We bought air tickets, reserved a car and
reserved a place for the four nights in Brooklyn. Already blew
provisional budget by booking a place larger and better located in
Brooklyn. At least it has a kitchen, so we may save on a couple of
breakfasts and maybe a dinner.

The car rental business is weird. We thought about doing without a car
in NY until heading north, but a rental for 3 weeks and 2-3 days is
significantly MORE expensive than renting for 28 days or more, which
gets the monthly rate. So it's cheaper to take a car in NY, even if we
were to just park it for four days.

I've read that air fares are going up this fall, but not so far. All in
cost for two of us, on non-stops SFO to JFK and BOS to SFO is $578 on
Virgin, including bag check charges. At $15 per bag, but with a 70#
limit, we're going to be checking two very heavy bags each way, with a
couple of smaller bags inside them, and full carry-ons. At least the big
bags have wheels.  :-)   I don't understand how anybody can make any
money that way, but I'm not complaining.

Off to NY for four nights Sept 8th. Then on up through the Boston area,
up through various places in Maine and back down to Boston for our
return flight, Oct 8th. Two years ago, we could fly into Portland, ME,
rent a car and drop it at JFK for a reasonable cost. This year, the
JFK-Portland route is unreasonable. Travel is really in flux.

We plan to visit with Mike and Marnie and hope for a Whitmire sighting.
Anybody else along that corridor up for maybe a meal, beer, or some such
meeting?

Moose