Re: [OM] R.I.P. - 200EG

Subject: Re: [OM] R.I.P. - 200EG
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:32:43 -0500

> OMG, how sad.

Horribly so, but not unexpected.  I knew its days were numbered.  It was
wearing out--the materials aren't nearly as robust as the LowePros. I have a
20 year-old Magnum 35 and a 15 year-old Elite-??? which are brutes.  I only
got four or so years out of the 200EG.

Did the zipper actually come apart?

Yes!  The zipper separated about halfway up the left side and then unwound
itself all the way around.  I could "heal" the zipper by just "unzipping"
and "rezipping" but the damage was already done and it doesn't hold together
anymore.  The one observation I always had of the 200EG was that the zipper
was too thin.  All it takes is one bad zipping operation where you bend it
around a corner (like a motordrive equipped OM body) for it to fail.

> Analysis and testing revealed that the zipper pulls should NEVER
> be pulled evenly up to the top. The weight of the gear pulling at the
> big flap will cause the zipper to simply unzip. One or the other siper
> pull should be pulled up, over and at least half way down the other
> side. No accidents since.

Absolutely agree.  I've written about that before on this list and I can't
echo your recommendations loudly enough.  NEVER LEAVE THE ZIPPERS AT THE TOP
OF A BACKPACK--ANY BACKPACK!!!

Depending on the batch that the 200EG was manufacturered, another critical
thing is the shoulder-straps themselves.  All bookbag style backpacks have
the adjustment straps going through the nylon length-adjustment-buckle.  The
problem is that the slightest up pressure on the buckle will cause the strap
to whip out and the bag fall to the floor.  To prevent this, tie a knot in
the end of the adjustment strap to keep it from totally slipping through the
buckle.  I destroyed a laptop computer and dented a 24/2.8 because of this.

> My usage has probably been different than yours. The 200EG has been the
> bag that carries most gear on planes and in car trunks from place to
> place. When actually shooting away from house/car/ etc., I carry active
> gear in a smaller bag.

LOL, the 200EG was my "smaller" bag.  :)

> One day, I ran across a bunch of LowePro* Slingshot 200AW bags at Costco
> for $15-20 less than I'd seen them for elsewhere. I tried one on my
> body, played and tried to envision how actual use would go. I didn't buy
> that day, but did look at bags when next at the local photo emporium.
> They didn't have the SlingShot 200AW in stock, but lots of other bags.

I think the SlingShot 200AW is a better bag than the 300AW.  The 200AW is
lighter, smaller and is more in-tune with the gestalt of the single-strap
backpack.  A loaded 300AW is just plain awkward to carry.  It was given to
me and I knew I was getting desparate to replace the 200EG (the signs if
immenent failure were there) so I gladly took it.  On a positive note, the
equipment is very well protected in the 300AW--the foam padding on the sides
is quite rigid.

> The greater of the two weaknesses of the design is that the lens pockets
> open horizontal to my body, which isn't really safe. The strap/clips
> that keep the flap from opening too far keep lenses from falling out,
> but one still has to release them to get at the things in the pockets.

Huge design fault of these strap/clips is that when you go to close the
zipper, the straps get caught inside.  Major irritation to me.

> The other weakness is the unbalanced shoulder load. So far, that hasn't
> been too bad and the ability to access tha bag without taking it off has
> been worth it. With a loaded 300AW, I imagine the load issue might be
> greater. But then, you are a more substantial person than I.

That part really hasn't bothered me all that much.  If I can be honest for a
second, the 200EG was just a little tight and dug into my armpits. It needed
to be just an inch or two wider to accomodate us triangle-shaped bodies. ;)

I didn't think I had a thing for LowePro products, it's just a coincidence
that I have at least three of them...

Given the price on the 200EG bags, I just might get another if for no other
reason than to carry my laptop computer.

AG