Re: [OM] Time to ask this question - batteries for OM-1? and: OM-1m??

Subject: Re: [OM] Time to ask this question - batteries for OM-1? and: OM-1m??
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 10:46:18 +0200
I second that! I purchased Jim's Pimped (black lizard skin) OM-1 which
was serviced
at John in 2007, and the shutter release is smooth as butter. Any day
now (I've been saying
this for a year...) I want to send my mint+++ OM-1n (which has not
been used for 20+ years, so
is not feeling very smooth anymore) to John for the same treatment.

In almost a year, I've never had the change the battery in the OM-1
converted
by John, whereas the stupid zinc-air batteries last about 3 each. Of
course,
I almost never switch the camera meter on (and this is why, the only
desirable aspect of
the 3Ti for me actually is the 1/2000 mechanical shutter speed)
because I will never ever
be convinced that any form of reflective in-camera metering is
superior to a hand-held
incident light meter.

Thus, it would seem kind of silly to have all those fancy multi-spot-
metering buttons
on the top of an OM-3/Ti if they are never used, and it's kind of
silly to use an electronic
camera (OM-4/Ti) is you never use the meter. Hmm... what's the
solution for me.. I really
want 1/2000. Ev en then I'd use ND filters, because I love shooting
shallow DOF in
bright light.

John... How about building me an OM-1m (manual) - which involves
removing the light meter,
ISO dial, and silly on/off switch from an OM-1, and upgrading /
installing an OM-3 shutter so
that I can have 1/2000s? That's really me dream OM camera:

- No meter (hey,  need to get used to it, otherwise the Mamiya or
Linhof will feel strange every time)
- No flash. I am with Christ here, I never ever use flash, except for
Macro in a previous life.
- Big, uncluttered viewfinder of OM-1 (especially when the meter needs
is removed, it's unbeatable)
- 2-series or third-party brighter focusing screen
- 1/2000s shutter speed

That's all I want! OM-1 bodies are cheap enough to mess around with, I
think it's be expensive to hack
together an OM-3m, but that would be nice too :-)

Perhaps a small pet project for me. Hmm.... But how to get 1/2000s in
an OM-1? Or is the only practical
way to start off with a dead OM-3?