Re: [OM] Time to ask this question - batteries for OM-1?

Subject: Re: [OM] Time to ask this question - batteries for OM-1?
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 08:48:35 -0500
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Moose<olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> DrT (George Themelis) wrote:
>> Can someone advise of the best or most economical solution for OM-1
>> batteries?
>>
>> Or a good link to research this topic?
>>

> There used to be a very detailed link, but it's gone away. There is
> lot's of discussion in the list archives, of course. The quick summary is:
>
> 1. If getting a body CLAed by John H., he will install a diode in the
> body and a spacer in the battery compartment. You can then use any 357
> size silver oxide battery. Battery life with this and #2 is very long.
>
> 2. Buy an MR9 adapter, most appropriately from John.
> <http://zuiko.com/index_016.htm>
>
> 3. Use 675 size zinc-air cells as made for hearing aids. More a good
> emergency solution than a long term one. the batteries start aging as
> soon as the seal is removed and don't last long whether in use or not.
>
> Moose

I am still feeding off a large purchase of Everyready 357 batts which
were the favorites of Dr Battery (Tim Hughes), until Everyready
changed the form factor of the 357 slightly so that they don't fill
the battery cavitiy of an OM-2-4Ti as well as before (though they
still work AFAIK)

IIRC SR44s retain the proper form factor, so the general drift I
believe has been toward the best deal on those, but I don't recall
that Dr. Battery had a favorite among these.

Another nuance:  the MR-9 adapters used to specify a 357, which was
just perfect for us, since we all had them for our other bodies.  The
most recent versions specify a 386, which is a bit of a bummer.  I
don't know why the manufacturer changed this -- perhaps it was the
form factor again, though they could have gotten that from an SR44.
Having said all that I'm guess a 357 probably works OK with the
current batch of MR-9s.  I have an OM-1N with John right now being set
up with an MR9 and 386.  I figure that as seldom as an OM-1 requires a
new battery it's not a big deal to roust out a 386.

Joel W.