Re: [OM] 35mm lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm lens?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 20:19:39 -0400
We once conducted a survey amongst ourselves of all our lenses in an
attempt to define what was multicoated and what was not by serial number
and other identifying characteristics.  Here are the results for 35/2.8

           Focal Aperture S/N   Chrome/   Coating MarkedMC? Lens Name
           Length               Black
        -------- ----  ------  ------    ------- --------- ---------
         *   35    2.8  102000  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
             35    2.8  129700  Chrome      SC    No
             35    2.8  141114  Chrome      SC    No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  145960  Chrome      SC    No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  149151  Chrome            No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  152700  Chrome      SC    No        G. Zuiko
         *   35    2.8  173122  Black       MC    No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  177594  Black       SC    No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  182901  Black       SC    No
             35    2.8  190492  Black       SC    No
             35    2.8  213828  Black       SC    No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  230319  Black       SC    No        X. Zuiko
             35    2.8  246000  Black       MC    No        G. Zuiko
             35    2.8  251229  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
             35    2.8  252042  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
             35    2.8  260800  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
         *   35    2.8  277800  Black       SC    No        Zuiko

Note that there are some apparent outliers here which I have marked with
an asterisk.  102000 is probably too early to be MC but the lens is
clearly marked MC.  173122 doesn't seem to fit its surroundings and
277800 should certainly be multicoated at that high serial number.  The
rendered judgments could be wrong, or repairs might have changed serial
numbers, lens barrel color or name ring markings.  Nevertheless, one can
probably conclude that (barring changed parts during repairs) 35/2.8s
with serial numbers of 251229 or higher are most probably multicoated
even if it doesn't say "MC".  I just noticed that my own 136904 didn't
make it to this list for some reason.  It's not MC.

Chuck Norcutt