Re: [OM] 35mm lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm lens?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 20:48:49 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> We once conducted a survey amongst ourselves of all our lenses in an attempt
> to define what was multicoated and what was not by serial number and other
> identifying characteristics.  Here are the results for 35/2.8
>
>            Focal Aperture S/N   Chrome/   Coating MarkedMC? Lens Name
>            Length               Black
>       -------- ----  ------  ------    ------- --------- ---------
>          *   35    2.8  102000  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
>              35    2.8  129700  Chrome      SC    No
>              35    2.8  141114  Chrome      SC    No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  145960  Chrome      SC    No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  149151  Chrome            No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  152700  Chrome      SC    No        G. Zuiko
>          *   35    2.8  173122  Black       MC    No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  177594  Black       SC    No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  182901  Black       SC    No
>              35    2.8  190492  Black       SC    No
>              35    2.8  213828  Black       SC    No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  230319  Black       SC    No        X. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  246000  Black       MC    No        G. Zuiko
>              35    2.8  251229  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
>              35    2.8  252042  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
>              35    2.8  260800  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC
>          *   35    2.8  277800  Black       SC    No        Zuiko
>
> Note that there are some apparent outliers here which I have marked with
> an asterisk.  102000 is probably too early to be MC but the lens is clearly
> marked MC.

Almost certainly a mis-reporting of some sort. There are some others in
the overall list.

> 173122 doesn't seem to fit its surroundings and

If I recall correctly, those were the days of peering deep into the lens
looking at reflection colors. Wasn't the "MC" column to be a judgment
based on observation of the coating themselves? Others, and I to a
limited extent, have noticed that the coatings changed character with
later production within both SC & MC. This may have been a late version
of mostly single coating with a different formula and/or a multiple
coating or two that fooled the eye.

> 277800 should certainly be multicoated at that high serial number.

Looks like a misunderstanding of the naming conventions on the part of
the one reporting. As the eSIF says and msot of us have observed, "Once
multicoating was so self-evident, that all lenses were produced
multicoated, the MC addition was also dropped and the lenses only
contained the word ZUIKO."

Moose