Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)

Subject: Re: [OM] 3D (What worked, what didn't)
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:03:02 -0400
> Sure. Also tried with larger distance -- everything seemed like a doll's
> house! However, close-ups at shorter distance made a rather poor effect.

Yes, the rule of thumb is distance of lenses (cameras) = 1/30 x distance of
nearest object.

> Just a question... if using a (couple of) wide angle, should the distance
> be
> larger in order to give a natural effect?

It is a difficult to answer question. You will never get a natural effect.
I would go with larger distance.  When you use wide angle lenses, everything
becomes smaller, including the stereoscopic deviations.  A larger distance
of the cameras (stereo base) will increase the stereoscopic deviations to
compensate.  But when you look at the stereo pair, the space will appear to
have expanded (in the "z-axis", i.e. perpendicular to the viewing
direction).

George