Re: [OM] 35mm lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm lens?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:13:41 -0500

> Yes, I think it's clear that there was a continuous development of MC
> technology during that time.

I absolutely agree.  My 100/2.8 is smack in the middle of the transition. It
has every color except green and has distinctly different reflections than
earlier ones. Gary and I suspected that our particular series used
radioactive elements due to other characteristics, but the geiger counters
remained silent. We found no evidence of any 100/2.8 using rare-earth
elements, but we did find that there was a short period of time where the
100/2.8 was completely unlike any other one before or after.  When other
list-members have looked through my 100/2.8, the response has been
uncanny--everything from "wow" to "that's different".  I know that Gary was
impressed enough with his similar lens that he cabbaged it away while
selling his other copies. We determined that not only were the coatings
different, but so was the optical formula as we found evidence that the
aperture blades were even moved.  It's been a long time since that research
and we didn't adequately document it for the ages.

The 35/2.8 which now graces my camera bag is also similar.  It is firmly in
the silvernosed, single-coated category, but exhibits colors (except for
green) unlike my previous one or other single-coated lenses.  The serial
number of this lens is just prior to the MC switchover--it's one of the last
SC/AG lenses.  (SCAG?)  I have little problem with flare with this lens and
what flare is there is well controlled.

The 35/shift (which was mine, now Joel's, but in indefinite storage with
me--long story), is black-nosed, but has earlier SC coatings. It is VERY
flare-prone and reminds me of my other early SC lenses.

AG Schnozz