Re: [OM] Why this is the way it be?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why this is the way it be?
From: <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:27:33 -0400
Cc: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
---- Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> When it comes to the RAW conversions themselves, Olympus Studio2
> out-converts ACR every day of the week--especially for E-3 files.

For someone who commences ranting every time Adobe is mentioned, you sure seem
to believe to know a lot about its capabilities.

For myself, I like CS4 just fine. I liked CS2, also. Not to mention CS3. I
suspect I'll like CS5 as well. Maybe better. <g> I spent a lot of time
converting .ORF files in both Studio and ACR, and I settled on ACR. Same with
.NEF files and Nikon Capture. OEM software may have the odd thing that works
better with their own files, but by and large, ACR does me just fine. I don't
know for sure, and I'm not going to waste the time trying to find out, but I
suspect it's because I process each and every file individually, without a
thought to actions and such. I'm not an event photographer, nor do I do
portraiture or other types of photography that lend themselves to automated
work flows that OEM software may have a leg up on. (Or Lightroom or Aperture,
for that matter.)

But--BUT--I would add that if you're not doing photography for money, the
outlay for Photoshop is a bit much. And depending on what you do
photographically for money, it may not be the best option. There are a lot of
options out there. Whatever floats your boat.

Still and all, Photoshop is a damn fine program with a lot of damn fine
features. As much as I liked Picture Window Pro, I didn't hesitate to abandon
it for Photoshop. The more time I spend with the various CS versions, the more
I like them, and the more I respect the people who engineered them. For me,
life's too short to continue, as I once did, trying to find workarounds for the
things photoshop does so well.

Your milage varies, as we know. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com