Re: [OM] New µ4/3 camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] New µ4/3 camera?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:11:07 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> A puzzled Moose wrote a bunch of comments about the Panny and Oly micro-43
> products.
> I'm also puzzled that Olympus has taken the approach that it has in the IQ
> department. The only thing I can think of is that Olympus is aiming for a
> more "rounded" look to the images

I'm not particularly concerned about the camera body IQ. I'd only be
shooting RAW anyway, and I think from the review that it's pretty
comparable to the E-620.

> , whereas Panasonic is going after the more clinical look of the hyper-sharp
> look common today. The lenses are
> definitely an area where I am extremely disappointed.

Jut weird.

> Frankly, I've been excited about the m43 products, but my reasons are less
> about any specific model and more about the flexibility and future-proofing
> aspect.

Exactly! It's a new direction that I think was implicit in digital
technology and thus bound to be tried by someone. I was pleased that Oly
chose to half-pioneer the concept. I say half, because my suspicion is
that the push to get it out soon, rather than later, came from Panny.
They didn't have the world's smallest DSLR to cannibalize sales from.

> Where Panasonic has an equivalent model to the Olympus offering, I've been
> far more impressed with the Panasonic.

If the 20mm pancake is a first rate lens, this camera could wipe the
floor with the Ricohs and Sigmas. Put an auxiliary optical finder in the
shoe - and it'd be the greatest "street shooter" digi yet.

> Fortunately I am not in the market for a camera right now AND I'm in my "film
> rules" mode

Film, film? What's that? Oh, yeah, I remember. Wasn't I going to shoot
some of that this summer? ;-)

I go through massive research and thought each time some new high end IQ
small camera comes out. The A650 is the absolute upper limit pocketable
or beltable camera for me. Rummaging through a sale box of Nikon digicam
cases netted me a horizontal format belt holster in lovely leather that
upped the belt ergonomics a great deal from the Canon and other
possibilities I'd found up until then.

No µ4/3 camera is ever likely to work that use for me. I keep hoping
that there will be a breakthrough in small sensor technology. :-)

The lenses just stick out too far for the purpose. So the question is
whether I would have one of them with me and ready to catch the moment
any more than the 5D. In one sense, as soon as I have to carry something
in a bag or around my neck, size and weight don't make all that much
difference to me - I think.

Moose