Re: [OM] The Gotcha of the Great

Subject: Re: [OM] The Gotcha of the Great
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:54:41 -0300
In fact, it seems he said something like what follows:

"In physical science the first essential step in the direction of
learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and
practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I
often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and
express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot
measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of
a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge,
but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science,
whatever the matter may be.
/Often seen quoted in a condensed form:/If you cannot measure it, then
it is not science.
— Baron William Thomson Kelvin
 From 'Electrical Units of Measurement', a lecture delivered at the
Institution of Civil Engineers, London (3 May 1883), /Popular Lectures
and Addresses/ (1889), Vol. 1, 73. Quoted in American Association for
the Advancement of Science, /Science/ (Jan-Jun 1892), *19*, 127.
<http://www.todayinsci.com/K/Kelvin_Lord/KelvinLord-Quotations.htm>

And I would not argue him 'ad hominem' (John Locke).

Fernando.