Re: [OM] Why this is the way it be?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why this is the way it be?
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:34:05 -0600
   Thank you so much, Ken. It is always helpful to get opinions of people
   who actually use the software they are talking about. :-)
   I'll look at CaptureOne and download the trial of Studio and see what
   I think.
   I'm about an 85% jpeg shooter, with the ORFs shot for event purposes
   alongside jepg. If the jpegs are fine, I'm off and running. But, if
   something has occurred, i.e, sun came out from behind the clouds and I
   didn't realize it and change my settings for a few shots, I like to
   have the ORF available to recover what I can. Although it fills a
   memory card quickly, it has been helpful more than once to shoot this
   way. Anyhow, in that case, it is often just as simple (and preferable
   for color/skin tone matching purposes) to run the entire session
   through the RAW conversion software, at which point work-flow becomes
   an issue.
   BTW, I am completely enamored with my E-30. She and I have been having
   much fun together. :-)
   Thank you for your no fee opinion...that, thankfully, is something I
   can afford, but is probably worth more than many things I've paid good
   money for lately!
Candace

   Ken Norton wrote:

Candace, I haven't tried SilkyPix lately.  I knew it did a good job on E-1
files, but the workflow issue is a non-starter for many of us.  I personally
think the workflow management of Capture One is actually pretty good.  If
the current version was out three years ago, there wouldn't have been a
Lightroom. Also, the workflow of Studio2 is not bad either.  It's not the
same as Lightroom, but not shabby at all.

The one weakness of Capture One (which is slowly being addressed) is that it
doesn't work well with JPEGs.  It is meant to be used with RAW files and
that it does very well.

The key advantage of Capture One over Lightroom is that with Olympus files,
when you are struggling to get the skintones correct (more of a problem with
E-3 than E-1 files), the background colors don't go all wonky on you.
Shadows don't pick up weird casts.

All that said, I really, really enjoy the workflow benefits of Lightroom,
Capture One and Studio2.  All three are no slouches, but Lightroom and
Studio2 give the added advantage of seamless JPEG editing along with the RAW
file editing.  Lightroom is the best at workflow editing, but let's get
real.  How many of us are processing 500-3000 images at a time?  When you
are rolling through an event shoot, the ability to edit a group of pictures
at a time while A/B comparing one to another is really nice.  Lightroom and
Capture One do that natively, Studio2 isn't quite as easy, but still
acceptable.  If you the typical hobbiest photographer, the workflow
management of these systems is pretty much a luxury, but hardly a necessity.

My opinion is my own, but loanable at no charge.

AG