Re: [OM] ( OM ) Definition of digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Definition of digital images
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:06:09 +1200
Ken wrote

"I'm not totally agreeing or disagreeing with Chuck.  In-camera JPEGs,
especially from a 10MP Olympus is perfectly capable of producing
rock-solid 8x12 prints any day of the week.
However,

Very first thing I'd look at is the sharpness setting.  Olympus'
sharpness set at "0" is highly recommended.  Any more sharpening than
that and the files get gritty and throw the files into that wierd over-USM look.

AG"

Today I tried the same game with three E-3 images, ( ie straight from a CF
card ) and the results were MUCH more acceptable.

The exact same lens was used on each camera body.

I also thought that maybe I had set sharpening (too high) in the E-510 and
just now found that sharpness, contrast, and saturation are and were all set
at 0..

On the E-1, sharpness, contrast, and saturation are all set at 0.

The jury is still out ....

Funny thing, for a while when I first got the E-510, I was very happy with its
images. Something changed. But wot? I wot not.

Another topic - or another aspect of the same one ... which of the many
parts of Raw Therapee should I do most experimentation with first?  There
is a bewildering choice.

Topic 3.  I have just had confirmation that my order of 5 (of 11 ) CDs of
Naxos Scarlatti piano sonatas is on the way ( From Presto Classical in
Leamington Spa (UK) ).  I already tried #1 and like it a lot.  I also
discovered
Marc-Andre Hamelin playing Haydn sonatas and bought his first release a
few months ago. Unfortunately his CDs don't get discounted so if I want the
2nd release just out I'll have to pay through the nose for it.  How come I
have reached the ripe age of 70 and only just discovered these two
composers?  And talking about paying through the nose, my red 4x4 started
playing stupid games with the gear-box and engine management. $440NZ,
one new engine temperature sensor and 2.5 hours of technician time later
and it is behaving itself. I think.

Brian