Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:02:01 +0800
I have four desktop PCs at home, they were built/upgraded myself. For PC it
is quite simple, if you don't demand ultra high speed a 2.5-3GHz Core 2 duo
or AMD AM2 X2 dual core should be good enough. I like Core 2 Duo for the
lower power consumption and AMD Low voltage 45W one for the same reason. The
AMD will be cheaper but a little slower than a Core 2 Duo of the same speed.

I recommend a separate display card from either ATI or Nvidia, some AMD
system will have ATI display card built-in, they are ok for many non
demanding purpose from photo editing to moive viewing. I don't like the PC
with built-in Intel graphic card, their driver are too simple (with little
control/adjustment). In any cases you need a PC with DVI or HDMI output. All
display card today support image rotation.

For monitor, if you can't afford a EIZO, I prefer Samsung. RGB adjustment is
easy to implement, I had a six years old 15" Topcon that has this feature
but without an external calibrator it could be confusing. My EIZO has both
RGB and gamma adjustment, the gamma value is very accurate even after five
years of use.

C.H.Ling