Re: [OM] Why this is the way it be?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why this is the way it be?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:57:32 -0300
I've had other more personal reasons to not switch to digital.
Therefore, until I found the topic discussed in this thread, I was not
aware of the issue.

I was spending some minutes in the blog Chuck posted - and found it
interesting.

Then, found what follows - if this rant is here, it's everywhere, only
that I didn't know of it:

<http://www.robertstech.com/blog/?p=50>
"And here’s the thing: When I announced in class a couple of weeks ago
that there was a new version of Photoshop coming out soon, /every/
student present had the same reaction I did.

I was amazed. I really had expected it was just us old folks who are
sick of having to upgrade all the time (to “pay the Photoshop tax” as
the expression goes). The oldest student in the class may not yet have
reached drinking age, but these kids, who’ve never known anything
earlier than Photoshop CS2, are also fed up with the endless upgrade
cycle. (Oh yes, they’ve already figured out it /is/ endless.)

One of the most annoying things to me is the deliberate /non/-backwards
compatibility of Adobe Camera Raw: Every time a new version of Photoshop
comes out, Adobe cripples subsequent versions of Camera Raw to prevent
them from working with older versions of Photoshop. So if you’re a CS3
user and you buy a new /camera/ that’s introduced after, say, tomorrow,
you’ll be forced to upgrade to CS4 if you want to keep using Camera Raw.
Even if you’re completely happy with CS3 and none of the new features of
CS4 are of interest to you."

Not to mention that you may have to buy a more powerful computer ....
Quad Core? it could eventually be not enough.

When film disappears, I shall take photographs no more.
But that's me.

Fernando.