Re: [OM] ( OM ) Definition of digital images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Definition of digital images
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:46:25 -0500

> Many people set their E's to +2 for sharpening. Keeping the camera at "0"
> must depend on the situation!?!
>
> The E-620 apparently has serious issues with sharpening.

If you keep the in-camera JPEG files at "0" sharpening, you can easily apply
noise-reduction afterwords--if at all.  +2 sharpening will accentuate the
noise and then you end up with nasty wormy artifacts or worse, a general
state of "this image is junk".  With both my digital cameras, I can shoot at
much higher ISOs and do in-camera JPEG. I take these files, and can sharpen
them with my own editor with or without noise-reduction (usually, just
chroma noise reduction for me) and end up with results as good as if I shot
RAW and converted in the computer.

One thing Olympus has really done right--more right than most
companies--especially the big "C", is that the in-camera JPEGs really are
usable for professional purposes.

AG