Re: [OM] Question: Mirror and aperture pre-fire?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Mirror and aperture pre-fire?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:29:48 +1200
Another hint for sharper OM images, in addition to using a tripod and the
self-timer ( for cameras with aperture pre-fire and mirror lift when self-timer
is selected) is to not use a cable release, but to use a heavy hand on the
camera to dampen down vibrations even more. If I remember correctly,
Olympus recommend this also.

I'm (intuitively) convinced that it is good for my system; a heavy (Gitzo 320
Studex) tripod with a Bogen/Manfrotto 3-way tripod. Once I set the self-timer
in motion, I put one hand or fist on the top of the prism housing and press
the whole assembly firmly to the ground with a force of 5 - 10 kg until the
exposure is done.

Even though that 3-way head is heavy, the adjusters somehow let some
movement through, and in any case it is so tall that it is far removed from
the ideal spot which is at the lowest top point of the tripod head.  My heavy
hand just anchors it to terra firma.

I have not yet got myself a bag or net with stretchies to load with rocks (or
whatever) to suspend from the tripod head.

Brian Swale.