Re: [OM] To OM2000 or not to OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] To OM2000 or not to OM2000
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:54:51 -0500
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Ken Norton<ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel did a great job describing the pros and cons of the OM-2000. Granted,
> it's not in the same league as a single-digit OM body in construction, but
> it's no worse than any plastic-clad DSLR from most any brand.  There was one
> of us that eventually ran into an issue where he was literally wearing the
> poor camera out, but that's not usual workload for most of us.
>
> Two reasons alone to have one is the higher flash sync-speed and the
> double-exposure mode.  The fact it also has a spot-meter ain't half bad
> either. Oh, did I mention it's substantially lighter than a single-digit OM
> body?

On the other hand, I remember the first time I put my OM2000 in Ken's
hands and he looked at it at arm's length and passed it back like he'd
just seen poop.  Similar reaction to my Sigma 19-35, although he did
mount it on his OM-2S and remarked simply, "It focuses in the wrong
direction."

My other film system is N, so I took it in stride.

For left-eyed shooters (which I was convinced at one point was every
other Olympus shooter), the OM2000 needs a little modification to
allow the shutter to work without the lever being half-cocked, poking
said shooter in his southpaw forehead.  Frank VL figured that out and
I think the procedure he wrote up is out there somewhere.

Joel W.