[OM] Two recent images (f/2.0 zuikos)

Subject: [OM] Two recent images (f/2.0 zuikos)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:13:52 +0200
Hi All,

I am often a sucker for shooting Kodak TMX P3200 film, I just
love the texture / tones. These are two fairly recent (snapshots?)
which I wet-printed to 5x7in RC satin paper, and lightly toned
in Thiocarbamide toner for a gentle duo-toned effect.

OM-1, 24/2.0 wide open, 1/8s
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/226/7/d/La_San_Marco_by_philosomatographer.jpg

OM-1, 90/2.0M wide open, 1/30s
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/226/a/b/People__s_Car_by_philosomatographer.jpg

The shutter speeds indicate the exceptionally poor lighting both of
these were taken
in, but they both illustrate an effect I love: Grain, together with
good (smooth) bokeh.
Somebody needs to invent a word for this (Bograin? Grainkeh?) but I
very often strive
to get the effect.

The 90mm image (VW Bug) was just parked in a parking lot when I picked
my wife up from work,
was pitch dark with feint distant light from a streetlamp. In the
original scan / print, the
detail rendering on the VW badge is incredible for an f/2.0 lens, and
it's interesting how the
grain is non-existent in that area, whereas the dark areas have
obvious grain.

The 24mm image (La San marco coffee machine) has a stupid faint streak
running through it, must
have been on that portion of the film, which I have not (yet) bothered
to remove in PP. I don't
use a squeegee, so this must have happened in-camera, or elsewhere.

But film shooters don't look at such details, right? It's the image
that counts :-) I actually
made that print as an exercise in extreme split-toned dodging/burning
to get the white pressure
dial white again, without having obvious seams. On that image, the
whole left is almost exclusively
Grade 5+, and whole right of the image is around grade 3.

This is fun!

P.S. A landscape with the 90/2.0 at f/8, shooting Pan F at ISO32.
Here, I tried to embrace the
typical "distracting" elements we usually strive to remove from our
landscapes.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/226/5/9/De_Rust_by_philosomatographer.jpg

At infinity, the Zuiko 90/2.0 is nowhere near as good as Mamiya's
140mm f/4.5 Macro (which I use a lot),
which seems to be better over the full range of 1:1 to infinity, but
it's still pretty darn good.
This 9x12in print looks swell in terms of detail, though I'm not sure
I could make it a lot bigger
before it starts to look soft.