Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:09:36 -0400
This works well and at low cost relative to a Quantum battery.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/294330-REG/SP_Systems_SPDCBPRC_Power_Pack_for_SP.html>
See my review there which is #4 of 5.  You'll also need a Quantum CO3
cable for T32/T45.  They can usually be had on ebay for about $20.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/43264-REG/Quantum_Instruments_CO3_CO3_Cable_for_Olympus.html>
I hope the "out of stock" situation at B&H doesn't mean this item has
been discontinued.

As you'll see from my review you can get about as many flashes out of 4
high capacity NiMH batteries in the flash as you can from the large and
heavy lead acid camcorder battery in the power pack.  But you can't get
1-1/2 second full dump recycle times out of the low voltage AAs.  You
need the 330 volts of the power pack.  But unless you're shooting events
recycle time may not be important at all.  In that case stick with a set
of Sanyo Eneloops which have a very low self-discharge rate and won't go
flat setting on the shelf.  If you do decide to use a power pack the T32
(and I assume the T45) allow removal of the low voltage cells as they
step down the high voltage to get the low voltage control logic.  Most
flashes still require batteries for the low voltage.  If you walk around
all night with a heavy camera and flash the weight reduction from
elimination of those AAs is welcome.

Chuck Norcutt