[OM] Light Technique Question

Subject: [OM] Light Technique Question
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:13:03 -0400
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Dr Flash ( J ) I have a question
regarding the FL50r in FP mode and use with a softbox. First some background
as to why I want to know this.

I am about to enter my portraits season and specifically need the FP mode of
the FL50 or FL50r to get the aperture I want to use (outdoor shade in the
late afternoon with f2 or f2.8). My testing with my FL50 on camera got my
intended DOF results but the fill light was a bit flat, even with a
Stroboframe to lift it higher but it still on axis. Typically I have use
fill off to one side for some modeling  on facial features. In the past for
this type of shots I have worked in full  manual with a Qflash on a softbox
and handheld metering/chimping. But this has always resulted in having to
work stopped down a bit more than my artistic side would like to bring the
shutter speed under the sync limits for conventional flash.

So the question is does anyone here have experience with using an FL50r with
a softbox (or possibly a bounce card) off camera in FP mode? The follow on
question would be regarding triggering reliability with the E-3's built in
flash versus a second FL50r in the hotshoe as trigger (I wish that the Radio
Poppers TTL model supported Olympus). If you have used a softbox what
considerations regarding line of sight for the triggering should I look out
for?

TIA, Dan S.