Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:29:24 -0700

> In fact, I don't even understand if the 3GB that is reported is a system wide
> limit or an application limit.
The 3gb limit is the 32bit limit of the OS. Do the math and you come up
with something north of 3gb, maybe 3.5gb. Applications can use what's
left over after system overhead. In practice I don't think the boot.ini
switch will give you 3.5gb. I am showing 3.2gb. This is why I'm
skeptical that a RAMdisk is practical with a 32bit system but I haven't
tried it either. Windows is pretty good at memory management these days.
If you want more RAM than that go to a 64bit OS and the theoretical
limit is in the Tb range I think.  One could set up a RAMdisk and still
leave plenty for the OS. Better yet just get a small SSD for the scratch
file (and Win7).

In my old 8086 DOS used an upper memory block to page data out to a
physically huge RAMbank which was installed in a MB slot. This was very
useful in the days when programs ran from 5" floppies. I could load the
entire program on the RAMdisk and skip the floppy disk except for data
backup. Everything on the RAMbank vanished when the power went off.

Mike