Re: [OM] Double Take - One Jaw Dropping Moment

Subject: Re: [OM] Double Take - One Jaw Dropping Moment
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:15:56 -0500
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Ken Norton<ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Interesting--do you think she saw your picture somewhere and was
>> inspired to duplicate it, or was it pure coincidence?
>>

> I do not believe that I know her. The original horizontal version of this
> photograph that I shot several years ago during a photo trip with Joel has
> been used for backgrounds for projection systems used in houses of worship.
> So it has been well seen.  I don't have that shot on my laptop and will have
> to reload it from my backup system to see this more closely.
>
> Bond Falls is a very popular photography location, but the spot these
> pictures were taken from was not the "normal" spot.

When I saw Ken's original photo after the trip, I felt that he had
gotten the best shot of the trip with it for both simplicity and
impact.  I took several photos that involve that zigzag falls, but not
that extraction, for which I would judge Ken's shutter speed to be
about perfect and the color very nice, since it is derived from the
colors of the leaves when we were there.  But basically I had every
opportunity to find the same thing and missed it.  Having seen Ken's
photo and knowing the area, I would know what to go back and look for.

Coincidence or not, all's fair I think.  No one owns subject matter
and every shot is basically different in a Heraclitean sense (i.e.,
you can't step in the same river twice, etc.).  A lot of my trips with
my brother to shoot out west are built around trophy shots we have
seen by David Muench and others.  One time we carried a horrible BW
xerox copy of Adam's shot of Zabriskie Point from the canyon below:

http://www.sfmoma.org/artwork/19777#

I believe we found the exact spot where Adams stood, which is
interesting in that Adams must have scouted the location and returned
to it with his equipment later.  It's more than 500 feet from the car

State Fair or no, Ken's photo is a winner to me.

Joel W.