Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:17:26 -0700

> But with PAE the 32 bit addressing limit is circumvented by bank switching.
This is hardware dependent. A workaround implemented by Intel unique to
intel cpu's as per the article you linked. Also software and OS
dependent. Seems to be a hardware/OS cobbleled together way to page out
to a virtual RAMdisk by allowing the processor to address 36bits.
WindowsXP limits page size to 4kb and physical address space to 4gb.
Many other limits. This one may to apply to PS users.

> Although this allows the obvious benefits of virtual memory, the
> downside is the performance impact on applications that have one or
> more of the following characteristics:
>

> Use a large amount of physical memory for their data sets
>

> Do a great deal of I/O
>

> Have large executable working sets

read the article:
<http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/pae_os.mspx>

I'm still skeptical that a RAMdisk has any substantial benefit without
an apples>apples test. Maybe I should give it a try. But I think Win7
and a small (80gb) SSD will be a better over all option before the end
of the year.

Mike