Re: [OM] Antivirus?

Subject: Re: [OM] Antivirus?
From: khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:40:40 +0800
Thanks for that piece of info, Chuck, but believe me, I have already gone
through them quite a while back. The problem with Avast is that it merely
detects the faux vbs file and sounds the alert to delete it, which of course
I would. This would repeat itself everyday until one fine day, it just would
repeat it continuously (non-stop).
The thing with VBS-Solow is that the trigger file is set deep inside and
what Avast is alerting all the time are the files that the virus keeps
creating and randomly naming. Therefore each of these faux vbs files has a
different name with the identical vbs extension.

Thankfully viruses today don't really carry destructive payloads unlike the
earlier days of Windows 3.x/95/98. These days, viruses carry a far more
important agenda - stealing info and then selling them for money. Short of
costing lives, this is almost as bad as Sierra Leone's (or Zimbabwe's) blood
diamonds.

K.

2009/8/17 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Interesting.  But I have experienced none of that with Avast.  But then
> I've never heard of the VBS-Solow virus.  I gave up on Symantec years
> ago but I think they're still the best source of virus info.  See:
> <
> http://www.symantec.com/security_response/threatexplorer/azlisting.jsp?azid=V
> >
> and scroll down to VBS.Solow
>
> Symantec identifies 6 different flavors of the worm VBS.Solow (B, C, D,
> E, F, G)  All are considered low threat and not widely spread.  All are
> classed as easily contained and easily removed.  All have technical
> details and complete removal instructions.  Click on the appropriate links.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> khen lim wrote:
> > The antivirus market has gone a little insane lately. Now that market
> > attention is no longer hogged by Norton and McAfee, there are some
> newcomers
> > that have come in from the cold. I think discussions on antivirus in this
> > list aren't new; so you'll expect to hear pretty much the same
> > recommendations on AVG, Avast and now there's also Avira. Never heard of
> it?
> > Count me in! We had an IT trade fair this weekend and it was virtually a
> > Kaspersky versus Avira war going on there and both offer very cheap
> > solutions for security including Internet protection. Of course that's a
> > broad definition and coverage!
> > My opinion on all these is that one day, product A will be king. Another
> > day, product B will be better. The next day no one would have heard of
> > product C but it is the best.
> >
> > I used to use AVG like Chuck but turned over to Avast. Got disillusioned
> > with Avast because it couldn't detect and deal with the annoying
> VBS-Solow
> > virus. I tried to find out as much as I could about this virus. I tried
> some
> > ideas out but they never really worked. Other ideas were too cryptic and
> I'm
> > not to game about going into the Registry and muck about.
> >
> > With Avast, it was like pulling out the weed but the root's still in the
> > ground. And so everyday, Avast will continue to raise alert and then I
> find
> > myself spending virtually forever deleting so-called malicious files.
> This
> > can go on forever...until I decide to cripple it so that I can then do
> work
> > in peace. In the end, I got fed up with the whole thing and
> recommissioned
> > my whole ThinkPad. And then bought a 3-user licensed Avira pack from
> those
> > pesky salespeople (in very short skirts and Japanese anime costumes) at
> the
> > trade fair.
> >
> > Just my two cents worth anyway.
> >

> > K.
> >
> > 2009/8/16 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> [...]

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney