Re: [OM] [IMG] Not the Czar Cannon, but a small garden cannon ca. 1700

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] Not the Czar Cannon, but a small garden cannon ca. 1700
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:27:33 -0300
Indeed. I couldn't find consistent references in the web, so you may
trust in what I'm going to write.
Maldonado was founded shortly after Montevideo was, and those were
difficult times.
There are several medium sized cannons in Maldonado and Rocha, but this
one is the smallest I've found.
It's in the garden of an old building, which has been restored and is
now a Museum. That's why there's a cannon there.
Formerly, that building belonged to the first (I think it was the first)
consul of the UK in Uruguay, Mr. Burnett.
Mr. Burnett did a couple of interesting things: he brought to Uruguay
all the pine trees one can see along the coast, from the east of
Montevideo up to Laguna Garzón, the limit of Madonado and Rocha
departments. He was in charge of all the enterprise, which was very
demanding and necessary because there were some 5 to 10 Km of sand dunes
to reach the seashore, and the harbour (two, in fact). The second one is
what follows:
More on topic, I learned all this because Mr. Burnett was a photographer
and registered several meaningful scenes during his stay as Consul here.
Some years ago, maybe during year 2000, his photographs were printed
again and exhibited at this museum, his own house during his time. That
way, I learned that those pine trees I like so much, hadn't been there
forever.

BTW, the .jpg I uploaded yesterday is terribly red ... this one is a
little better (1280):

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3826513335/sizes/o/>

Fernando.