Re: [OM] BBQ wars

Subject: Re: [OM] BBQ wars
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:33:14 -0500

> I appreciate the sauce recipe but this is grillin'.  This ain't
> barbecue.  :-)

Contrary to popular belief, not all "Q" is indirect-ultra-low-heat/smoked.
If you do the smoke method, you should strictly dry cook the meat.  I wet
cook them (apply sauce during the cooking process) which is distinctly
better in a direct-heat cooking method.  But that doesn't mean my coals
don't have a good smoke going on.  I usually load the grill down with
hickory and cherry wood amongst the coals.  I guess "load" is a misnomer, to
keep the temperature low enough for 3.5-4.0 hours of cooking, you don't need
much.

about dot com has probably the best definition I've ever come across:

"...The truth is and the only definition that matter, I think, is that
barbecue is a gathering, a meal, a sharing of time, food and companionship.
Barbecue brings people together and makes them happy. Barbecue is about good
times, friends and sometimes, it's about the food."

Honestly, doesn't that sound like the OM list?  Just substitute "Olympus"
for "barbecue" and "cameras" for "food" in that paragraph.

AG