[OM] SSN (Re: Unusual? Olympus Trip 35 camera)

Subject: [OM] SSN (Re: Unusual? Olympus Trip 35 camera)
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:45:05 -0400
> Incidentally, this camera (from the SSN engraved on it) was owned by one
>  Ruby Donahue of Knoxville, Tennessee who died January 24, 2008 at the
> age of 95.  So, no harm in advertising the SSN.

What is the SSN you are talking about?  You mean these numbers at the bottom
of the camera have some special meaning/value?  Like some kind of a Secret
Special Number?  (I apologize, I am not a US citizen).

I felt obligated to document this cosmetic issue without realizing it was
potentially harmful. So, I assume the owner scribed these numbers to be able
to claim ownership if the camera is lost or stolen.  But, if stolen, would
he want his secret special number to get to the hands of thieves? Weird....

And how did you track the owner from this number?  If this can be done, then
it cannot be very hard to do the reverse.  What kind of a secret is that?

George