[OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]

Subject: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:51:25 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yup, that works.  I've never tried it but my guess is that the 5D would have
> liberally sprinkled the image with colorful confetti at 2 minutes. :-)

I understand AG's love for film. However, as often as not, his paeans to
film are closer to propaganda than data.

Although the text says the OM-4T will auto-expose up to two min., it
gives only a rough guess estimate of the actual exposure.

Then, lets see:

2 min. @ ISO 100 =
1 min. @ ISO 200 =
30 sec. @ ISO 400 =
15 sec. @ ISO 800 =
8 sec. @ ISO 1600 =
4 sec. @ ISO 3200

Then if, for example, the actual exposure was closer to 1 sec. The 5D
exposure times would be as little as 8 sec. @ ISO 3200 or 15 sec. @ 800.
None of these are outside the range of the 5D with dark frame noise
subtraction. Take a look at 30 sec. test exposures with and without the
DF-NR. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5D/page24.asp>

Even without, it's fine, no colorful confetti, and the subject shot is
nicely within the 5D's 30 sec. auto exposure limit @ ISO 400, which is
may even have less grain/noise than the Provia. Noise just isn't a
problem on the 5D @ 400. Would probably look good @ a minute using Bulb,
too.

Doesn't sound as amazing that way? :-)  Of course, our 5Ds are four year
old designs that have been replaced with a camera that has even better
high ISO performance. Then there's that Nikon super-see-in-the-dark
thingie. ;-)

AG, I'm perfectly willing to accept that the color is more to your
liking, grain/noise more to your taste, etc. - and perhaps most
important, that you simply like using film better. And the image subject
to discussion is quite lovely. It may even be better than any DSLR could
capture of the same scene - but not because of the long auto-exposure
limit on the OM-4T.

Still, do you have to exaggerate so much? Why not stick to extolling
those areas where the OMs and film have a real advantage?

Keepin' It Real Moose