Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Power Bounce Grip 2
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:37:56 -0500

> Probably OK for fill flash since the only danger is not enough fill.

It depends on your shooting style.  I can think of three styles which I use
and rotate through depending on the situation:

- Background One Stop Overexposed.  This separates the subject from the
background and provides a high-key look to the image and is very good when
you have a distracting background.

- Background One Stop Underexposed.  This separates the subject from the
background and brings the subject out from the background in such a way as
to provide a 3D look to the image.  Critical when the background is of the
same colors or brightness levels as the subject.

- Background Exposed Same as Subject. This usually works when the background
has sufficient color or texture difference (bokeh?) than the subject. This
requires that the flash power be exactly as it needs to be for the
flash-to-subject distance. This is generally what we refer to as "fill
flash"

AG