Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]

Subject: Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:58:20 +0200
I do concur with Moose, Ken's image has shown absolutely nothing a
good DSLR couldn't do - the
EOS 1D MkIIN I used to use had the same ISO performance of the 5D, and
an infinitely superior
"pre" metering system for non-flash, admitting that real-time OTF is
better for changing conditions.
Nice as the multi-spot of the OM3/4 is, you need to realise that a pro
Canon body takes the concept quite
a bit further, with multiple movable spots, multi-flash-spot metering,
etc.

I have done long exposures of several minutes (bulb) when I still had
a DSLR, and since the sensor is linear, you can
work out the exposure quickly by taking an ISO3200 test shot, and then
extrapolating the (perfectly linear, unlike film)
exposure time to x minutes at ISO 200 or whatever you want to shoot
at. Also, a 1Dxxxx accurately auto-exposes up to 30sec
at any ISO, and a 30second linear exposure at ISO3200, though noisy,
goes far beyond what is possible with
any film ever made - you can leave the shutter open all night on your
Delta3200/KodakP3200 it won't get there
because of reciprocity which get very bad very fast with these fast
films.

Also, the dynamic range of a Canon RAW file is vastly better than
either Slide film or an E-1, so it would never
blow the bright sky areas out as Ken described. I have images with a
greater range of exposure and colours than Ken's
(very pretty!) image.

Yet, I sold my DSLR. Figures...

So, no, where film excels is in the realm where no OTF / auto exposure
works, and this is in exposures of 30mins+ to
many hours. And for this, the OM-4 is not best, but an OM-1 or OM-3 :-)

 From a metering point of view, we have to admit here the only thing
the OM bodies have which has never been equalled
in the digital area, is real-time off-the-film. Everything else has
been done to death much better, but only on the
big pro bodies from Canon/Nikon. But they're so - big. I saw a 1Dxxx
in a shop last week-end, and I couldn't believe I
used to walk around with one of those for fun.