Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]

Subject: Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:59:12 +0200
Hi Ken, Moose and all,
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

>Although the text says the OM-4T will auto-expose up to two min., it

>gives only a rough guess estimate of the actual exposure.

<snip>

>Then if, for example, the actual exposure was closer to 1 sec. The 5D

>exposure times would be as little as 8 sec. @ ISO 3200 or 15 sec. @ 800.

>None of these are outside the range of the 5D with dark frame noise

>subtraction. Take a look at 30 sec. test exposures with and without the

>DF-NR. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5D/page24.asp>

>Even without, it's fine, no colorful confetti, and the subject shot is

>nicely within the 5D's 30 sec. auto exposure limit @ ISO 400

Are you sure that the 5D's auto-exposure can actually _measure_ exposures as
long as 30 sec. @ ISO 400 _and_ wide open? The 300D goes no longer than 6
sec @ 400 or 1.6 sec @ 1600 (which is the equivalent LV indeed)

Of course, I'm talking about _metering_ capabilities -- with unmetered
manual and/or bulb you may go as long as you like... and yes, I don't think
'colorful confetti' shoud be an issue.

>AG, I'm perfectly willing to accept that the color is more to your

>liking, grain/noise more to your taste, etc. - and perhaps most

>important, that you simply like using film better.

These are very good points indeed.

>And the image subject

>to discussion is quite lovely.

Sure, and beatifully portayed -- nice pic, Ken!

>It may even be better than any DSLR could

>capture of the same scene - but not because of the long auto-exposure

>limit on the OM-4T.

But OTF does have some real advantages -- conventional metering could be
fine 99.99 of the time, but sometimes there's no substitute. Not only the
higher sensitivity (and with faster film, the OM-2n is _way_ better than the
4 on this respect) but a "slowly" changing situation like this is what makes
OTF great!

Film vs. digital is a different matter, of course... but it has been
"proved" that there's no way to do OTF (or should we say OTS?) with a
digital sensor, Oly or whatever.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)