Re: [OM] ( OM ) substitute for Sigma 14mm rectilinial (spelling?)

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) substitute for Sigma 14mm rectilinial (spelling?)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:35:49 +1200
Thanks people for your encouraging comments.

The Bessa + lens is already on its way. The vendor insisted on using the most
expensive USPS method which cost an arm and a leg, but never mind now.
Won't be long unless the Customs & Excise people decide they want a share :-(

I did a mental toss-up between the 15mm and the 12mm, and decided that the
12 mm might be too extreme for my needs. We'll see. And to make it easier my
eBay daily standard search brought up the one I bought; I looked carefully at
it
and decided to take the plunge.

I already have the Sigma 15mm fisheye with a front element about as bulbous
as that of the Zuiko 24mm shift.  It is fun but I also want a wide rectilineal
(better
spelling?). Straight lines have much to commend them sometimes.

Here are two shots I took with this 15mm.
http://www.reflective-moment.com/olympus-odyssey/bswale/picture4.htm

Look at the curve it put on the shadow of the vertical and straight lamp-post!
The building itself is so full of the most amazing curves that a bit of
exaggeration didn't really matter. Poetic licence.

http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=22&pic=11&header_font_to_us
e=arial

The top (tongue in cheek) comment is from the guy I bought the lens from for a
measly $NZ 158 at online auction. I was lucky.

Actually, if you look at what I (think I) wrote a couple of days ago, you will
see
that I do not have the 6 x 17 yet.  The maker wants to spend more time getting
the infinity focus sharper. He sent me the photo of "my" camera to keep my
interest up. The reflected sunset (Melbourne) has amazing colour. Don't think
it
comes with the camera :-)

In a recent conversation, he said he really misses having our resident (but
currently wandering in Europe) curmudgeon pop in for a chat and some cheek.
I guess we all do too. (Reading this, Andrew?).

I don't know when it will arrive and I'm not fretting about it. If he can find
the time
in his busy schedule to fine-tune it, I'm ever so grateful, and I can do plenty
without it anyway.

Another reason I decided to buy the Bessa + 15mm is that the Granadon lens
attached to "my"  6 x 17 is a 115mm lens, and (totally lacking in experience in
this matter) I suspect I actually would get more use from a 90mm lens such as
the Schneider I originally bought (with the very wide rear element).

Look at the image (borrowed from a file of a well-known manufacturer) at the
top link of
http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/index.htm
and compare 110 with 90mm.

I suspect the Bessa 15 will probably produce very printable images, wider than
the 115mm lens will give. It will be interesting to see what eventuates.

Scanning 6 x 17 negs?

Having got some hints from this group, I plan to buy a new Epson Perfection
V700 Scanner; $NZ 960.00

Comment welcome, as always.

Tomorrow  I am going into Photo & Video International to discuss the purchase
from them; they list it on their site.

I also see on the www that Epson are out of stock, so there is no time to
waste.
I can't afford it right now, but next month should be a different story. So,
fingers
crossed that PVI can still get it; I doubt they will have it in stock.

Much later down the track I might give serious consideration to an Imacon
scanner (used !!). First I have to see what I can do with the camera.

I have not thought much about printing yet. At the moment that would be a bit
previous, to use a local expression..  As much as anything I want the images
for
printing in a book I am planning. My "hero" uses interchangeable lens
Technoramas, and his images are to be found in the various books he has
written in part for the tourist market, but also for pictorial calendars and
business calendars.  As well as his large Art Prints at $NZ 4000 a throw.
See http://www.andrisapse.com/
The printed images are stunning, largely due to the sharpness and wealth of
detail. They knock the socks off probably any print I have had made, except one
done on Fuji print film with the OM4Ti and my 35~105..
See
http://www.brianswale.com/galleries/landscapes/images/Parawa-3-2-350.htm

I should put up a 450px-wide image.

The only other item I still "really" need is a spotmeter, and I am looking at
the
Asahi Pentax V  or VI on OH Boy!.  But as I have a working OM4Ti, I'm not
fretting.

Then I must set about buying a house. Paying rent for a flat is a mug's game.

Brian Swale.