Re: [OM] Two recent images (f/2.0 zuikos)

Subject: Re: [OM] Two recent images (f/2.0 zuikos)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:01:53 -0500

> This image already took some heavy split-grade dodging/burning it to
> balance it to the extent that I have, but I agree it could take more
> work, but where to find the time! And of course, I cannot selectively blur
> with any sort of reasonable ease when doing optical prints :-)

I disagree about he selective blurring. You can selectively "soften" areas
through use of things like a screen, plastic-wrap, sandwich baggy or just a
really dusty piece of glass. When combined with a mask or through a
dodge/burn process you can work an area of an image to blur or soften the
edginess of an image without screwing up the grain.

This is actually one of the prime benefits of split-grade printing--you can
diffuse the hard-grade exposure (shadows and low-midtones) or the soft-grade
exposure (highlights, high-midtones).  If you diffuse the hard exposure (V),
it softens the grain, if you diffuse the soft exposure (00) it softens the
image but leaves the grain intact.

Typically, when you diffuse during the printing process, you end up
darkening the highlight regions that neighbor the dark regions.  If you
diffuse when photographing, you lighten the dark regions that neighbor the
light regions.

AG