Re: [OM] Question: Early OM-1?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Early OM-1?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:27:17 -0700
Charles Geilfuss wrote:
> ...   Yours with Z32 should be Factory "Z" 1973 February. Is there no plate
> number?

My original, non-MD OM-1, bought new, is Z36, June '73 and also has no
plate number. I think they came later, as Oly realized QC wasn't
sufficient to assure correct fit/pressure without some different
pressure plates.

Yup, I made my switch from Nikon in '73, and have been OM-ing for 36
years, about a dozen years longer than the silver snouted one claims.

Charles Geilfuss wrote:
>   You're right John. Oddly enough, the OM-1 non-MD and OM-1 MD were both
> produced from 1974 to 1979.

Not so odd. It was a price point, marketing thing, with MD costing more.
IF I recall correctly, the earliest non-MD bodies were missing some
machining necessary for simple conversion, while later ones were MD body
castings without the hole in the bottom plate and a couple of parts.

Moose